How to Deodorize Any Vehicle
Over time, your car can start to develop unpleasant odors from pets, smoke, or other sources.
If you’re dealing with a smelly car, don’t worry – here’s a DIY list of How to Deodorize Any Vehicle.
NOTE from Sunset North Car Wash Operations Manager: “For a thorough, deep cleaning of vehicle’s interior, our detailing specialists use a powerful combination of industrial vacuums, your GermBuster Steam Cleaner and non-toxic compounds.”
How to Remove Pet Smells from a Car
If you have pets, your car is probably no stranger to pet smells. Pet hair, dander, and urine can all contribute to a foul odor in your car. To remove pet smells from your car, you’ll need to clean thoroughly and use a deodorizer designed to remove pet odors.
Here are some steps you can take to remove pet smells from your car:
1. Vacuum your car thoroughly, paying attention to all the nooks and crannies where pet hair and dander can hide.
2. Use a pet-specific deodorizer to spray down the interior of your car. Be sure to spray under seats, in the trunk, and anywhere else where pet smells may be lingering.
3. Let the deodorizer sit for several hours or overnight.
4. Vacuum again to remove any residue from the deodorizer.
How to Remove Smoke Smells from a Car
If you smoke in your car, it’s likely that your car has a strong, unpleasant smoke smell. Smoke smells can be difficult to remove, but there are a few things you can do to get rid of them.
Here are some steps you can take to remove smoke smells from your car:
1. Open all the windows and doors of your car to let fresh air in.
2. Use a wet/dry vacuum to clean up any visible smoke residue.
3 . Use a deodorizer designed to remove smoke odors (see our list at end of this article) to spray down the interior of your car. Be sure to spray under seats, in the trunk, and anywhere else where smoke smells may be lingering.
4. Let the deodorizer sit for several hours or overnight.
5. Vacuum again to remove any residue from the deodorizer.
How to Remove Other Unpleasant Odors from a Car
In addition to pet and smoke smells, your car can also develop unpleasant odors from food, garbage, or other sources. To remove these odors, you can follow the same general steps as for pet and smoke smells. However, you may need to use a different type of deodorizer, depending on the source of the odor.
For example, if the odor is coming from food, you may want to use a deodorizer that has a fresh, clean scent. If the odor is coming from garbage, you may want to use a deodorizer that has a strong, unpleasant scent that will overpower the garbage smell.
In addition to commercial deodorizers, there are a number of natural products you can use to deodorize your car. Some popular natural deodorizers include:
• Baking soda: Baking soda is a natural odor absorber. Sprinkle baking soda on carpets, seats, and other areas where odors are present. Let the baking soda sit for several hours or overnight, then vacuum it up.
• Activated charcoal: Activated charcoal is another natural odor absorber. Place activated charcoal in bowls or bags in your car. The charcoal will absorb odors over time.
• White vinegar: White vinegar has a strong, sour smell that can help to neutralize other odors. Mix equal parts white vinegar and water in a spray bottle. Spray the mixture on areas where odors are present. Let the mixture sit for several minutes, then wipe it up with a damp cloth.
• Essential oils: Essential oils have a strong, pleasant scent that can help to mask unpleasant odors. Add a few drops of essential oil to a spray bottle filled with water. Spray the mixture on areas where odors are present.
The best way to prevent odors in your car is to keep it clean and free of debris. Vacuum your car regularly and remove any food, garbage, or other materials that could cause odors. If you have pets, be sure to clean up after them immediately and keep their food and litter boxes out of your car.
Here are some commercial deodorizers that come highly recommended:
There are many different deodorizers available for cars, each with its own unique set of features and benefits. Here are a few of the most popular deodorizers on the market:
• Febreze Car Fresheners: Febreze is a well-known brand of air freshener that offers a variety of scents to choose from. The company’s car fresheners are available in a variety of forms, including vent clips, hanging bags, and sprays. Opens in a new window Amazon.ca
Febreze Car Fresheners deoderizers for cars
• Little Trees: Little Trees are small, tree-shaped air fresheners that are popular for their strong scents. The company offers a variety of scents, including pine, citrus, and vanilla. Opens in a new window Amazon.com
Little Trees deoderizers for cars
• Ozium: Ozium is a powerful air sanitizer that can help to remove odors from your car. The product is available in a spray form and can be used to deodorize the entire car or to target specific areas. Opens in a new window Ace Hardware
Ozium deoderizers for car
• Chemical Guys: Chemical Guys is a brand of car care products that offers a variety of deodorizers, including sprays, gels, and bags. The company’s products are designed to remove odors and leave a pleasant scent behind.